(WWJ) There’s one other cause to guard your self in opposition to mosquito bites: Jap Equine Encephalitis.
The Michigan Division of Well being and Human Providers is confirming two instances of the virus — generally known as Triple E, EEE or sleeping illness — in horses in Kalamazoo and St. Joseph counties
Whereas there have been no human instances confirmed in Michigan, there’s concern as individuals will be contaminated with EEE from the chunk of a mosquito carrying the virus, which is a uncommon trigger of probably deadly mind infections.
“It has a 33% fatality charge fatality charge for people who grow to be ailing,” mentioned Lynn Sutfin of the MDHHS, “and a 90% fatality charge for horses that grow to be ailing.”
Sutfin mentioned whereas there’s a vaccine out there for horses, there is no such thing as a vaccine permitted for individuals.
In the meantime, WWJ’s Dr. Deanna Lites studies West Nile Virus exercise in Michigan has additionally elevated in latest weeks.
Residents are urged to shield themselves and their households from EEE, WNV and different mosquito-borne illnesses by taking the next steps:
- Keep window and door screening to assist hold mosquitoes outdoors.
- Empty water from mosquito breeding websites across the house, reminiscent of buckets, unused kiddie swimming pools, previous tires or related websites the place mosquitoes lay eggs.
- Use nets and/or followers over outside consuming areas.
- Apply insect repellents that include DEET, or different EPA permitted product to uncovered pores and skin or clothes, and all the time following the producer’s instructions to be used.
- Put on mild coloured, long-sleeved shirts and lengthy pants when outdoor. Apply insect repellent to clothes to assist forestall bites.
Study extra about Jap Equine Encephalitis from the U.S. Facilities for Illness Management (CDC) AT THIS LINK.